- Start up your Pit Boss. Once it's fired up, turn the temperature to 225°F.
- Generously coat the tomahawk steak with kosher salt on all sides.
- Allow the steak to sit at room temperature for one hour. After an hour, wipe off the salt and pat the steak dry.
- Season the tomahawk steak with Chophouse Steak Rub on both sides.
- Place the steak on the grill grates, insert a temperature probe, and grill, undisturbed, for 45 minutes, or until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 120°F.
- Remove the steak from the grill, tent with aluminum foil and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the grill and increase the temperature of the Pit Boss to 450°F. Allow the pan to get as hot as possible.
- Place the steak in the cast iron pan with the butter, garlic cloves, and rosemary sprig. Immediately begin spooning the butter over the steak as it melts.
- Sear on one side for 1 minute.
- Flip the steak, place the garlic and rosemary on top of the steak, and continue to baste the steak with the butter for another minute.
- Pull the steak off the grill and allow it to rest for 10 minutes until the temperature rises to 130-135°F.
- Pour the melted butter from the pan over the steak, slice, and serve immediately.
WOOD PELLET RECOMMENDATION
Pit Boss Hickory Blend Hardwood Pellets
This recipe can be cooked on any of our Pit Boss Grills wood pellet smokers, our vertical pellet smokers, or any of our barbecue grills using the A-Maze-N smoker accessory wood pellet burners.