This bacon-wrapped Texas Classic is sure to be a hit at your next tailgate or backyard BBQ. Serve as an appetizer, or as a main, and have your friends and family coming back for more.
For this recipe, our Armadillo Eggs were smoked low and slow using our Oak Blend Pellets and finished off with our Kansas City Maple & Molasses BBQ Sauce. Believe us, this recipe is one that you will not want to miss out on.
- Set your smoker to 225°F.
- Take the cream cheese out of your refrigerator – You’ll want it to be room temperature so it’s easier to manage.
- Cut off the tops of the jalapenos and hollow them out by removing the core.
- Next, in a bowl, place cream cheese and 3 tablespoons of Pit Boss Sweet Heat Rub. Mix well. Once combined, transfer cream cheese mixture into a piping bag, this will make filling the jalapenos easier.
- Then, begin filling the hollow jalapenos with the cream cheese mixture.
- Once all your jalapenos have been filled, fully cover the outside of the jalapeno with Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage.
- Then wrap in bacon. We recommend using three slices of bacon for each Armadillo Egg: Cut one piece of bacon in half, then place each half over either end of the Armadillo Egg and use the other two pieces to wrap the remainder.
- Once each Armadillo Egg is fully wrapped in bacon, sprinkle Pit Boss Sweet Heat Rub over the outside of each Egg.
- Next, place them in the smoker (directly on the grates) and cook, at 225°F, with the flame broiler closed.
- Cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Once the bacon is golden brown, brush on Pit Boss Kansas City Maple & Molasses BBQ Sauce with a Basting Brush and let cook for another 10-15 mins.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove the Armadillo Eggs from your smoker and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into each one.
WOOD PELLET RECOMMENDATION
Pit Boss Oak Blend Hardwood Pellets